Monday 12 October 2009

What is love?

Well...that certainly is an age old question isn't it? What is this thing called love? I sometimes feel that we are so engrossed in our own little worlds that we tend to forget the true meaning of this four letter word that expresses one of the purest feelings in the human world. Why do they call it 'falling in love'? I know it's a bit of a cliché, but then again... is it? Love is not something that you critically evaluate nor will it ever have a critical path. I'm sounding a bit too 'project managementish' now. Seriously, the more I think about it, the more confused I tend to be.

Love was easy when I could recall someone's telephone number by heart. Love wasn't complicated when I knew I called only her. Love was easy to understand when I was 16. I would be lying if I didn't say that love wasn't exciting then. Love had more meaning when I held her hand and looked into her eyes. Love was a journey that I longed for. Love never took the upper hand. More importantly, love was simple when life was simple.

But when the six letter 'change' replaces the four letters of 'love', things tend to go in different directions. After all, change they say is the only constant in this world. Who am I to contest it? But there is a tiny inkling still persisting in my mature heart wanting to recall that telephone number. The outcome of this will not agree well with the social norms of this so called mature world. That's just how it is. The 6 digits that I remembered by heart have become longer as change has worked it's way through the receivers line and made it an international call now.

I have enjoyed life and seen the world in different lights. The lessons love has taught me still lingers on in my ever pounding heart. Nothing will be forgotten. Life will continue and so will love. Yet, once in a while when everything stops, the mind likes to revisit the glory days and bask in those pleasant rays of hope. This is the only true illusion in life. Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment